Friday, December 9, 2011

The Death of Leader (State Senator) Robert Brown

I would have blogged about this yesterday, but since, I had just come from the dentist and returned back to work the only thing I was thinking about when I got home was taking the meds and getting in the bed.

Yesterday, our great state lost an icon in politics. When I first meet Mr. Leader, as we affectionately called him, I was a in middle school. I paged at the state capitol for Sen. Daniel Lee. Senator Robert Brown at that time was the Whip for the Senate Dems. Even with me at the tender age of 13 or 14 Sen. Brown took time with me every time he saw me at the state capitol. He wanted to know who I was and offered to help me in anyway that he could.

As the years past, I would keep in contact with Sen. Brown and his aide, Doug Bennett. I am sure this is a difficult time for Doug. He's been with Senator Brown for many, many, many years.

I am reminded of last summer, when I was helping State Senator Valenica Seay on her campaign, I had stopped by her house to say hello and to talk business, while we were inside, the door bell rung.. to our surprise it was Sen. Brown and Doug just coming to say hello and spend time with Senator Seay as she was healing from her heart attack she suffered earlier that year. We sat and talked..... and had a great time!

Sen. Brown was known for being LIVE and in LIVING COLOR, when he spoke from the well in Senate Chambers. When ever he went to the well, you could bet your bottom dollar that you were going to laugh and that you would be so weak, because he would come up with the funniest analogies and stories to defend and present legislation he was for or against. There was no gray area with Sen. Brown. You knew exactly where he stood any issues, sometimes, you did not have to guess. He was not afraid to speak out. He leadership he provided the Senate Dems on the HOPE SCHOLARSHIP was outstanding.

I will keep you updated with more information  (memorial, services) about Sen. Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment