Sunday, December 18, 2011

St. John Baptist Church Candlelight Service

Howdy Folks!

It seems like the thing to do in Savannah on a 3rd Sunday is Candlelight Service. Today, I attended the Candlelight Service hosted by St. John and oh what a time we had. This service was filled with janky theatrics as well as down home soul and anthem singing! The church actually hosted its 41st Candlelight Communion Service. This service was well attended. I was very impressed with the Music Ministry of St. John. My dear friend Christel Caughman and her Parents, Drs. Caughman attend the church. Christel mom Dr. Caughman is one of the directors for the choir and the other Dr. Caughman is a deacon at the church.

First thing first: Lest us talk about Dr. George P Lee, III, PhD who is the Pastor of this great church. Well where do we begin in the opening of the service the 200 + voice choir sings, "Christian Hold Your Light" and Dr. Lee ascends from the ceiling of the civic center dressed in his Pope regalia. I was a little confused. I never knew we had a African American Pope. His attire was very elaborate with sparkles and glitter. Very sharp and debonair i must say. I think it was a little too much, however, I enjoyed the Pastors singing and his grrrrraaaaannnnnnd entrance. Yes, as I said, he was dressed like the Pope,  he had to males to carry in the bible and staff dressed in white robes (these two guys also served as candle lighters) as he ascended from the ceiling he was holding at long stick candle. Very creative I tell you. It was definitely as show stopper and a great opening. Pastor Lee I commended you, just loose the outfit next year, my brother!

Syntel pictures with Dr. Barbara Caughman after the Candlelight Communion Service

Secondly, my friends mother, Dr. Barbara Caughman directed the first 3 songs and let me  tell you, she really brought it. Dr. Caughman danced across that stage so. LOL . It was classic, I tell you she was really moving. She conducted the Lord's Prayer and Jesus the Light of the World. Where she did her thang, that's right THANG,  was on Come Thou Almighty. Man, she danced across that stag, directed and punched the bass lines like no other. I really enjoyed it. The crowd was going crazy, yelling, "direct doc" "get it sister" "do that dance." LOL it was awesome.

Recording Artist LaShaun Pace singing at the 41st Candlelight Service

Last but not least, the guest psalmist OMG. Lashaun Pace, she truly rocked the house tonight. She had we so weak when she song Safe In His Arms. It truly ministered to me.


As you see, I really enjoyed myself this evening. I will definitely be to visit St. John on a regular Sunday morning. I look forward to 2012 Candlelight service.

No comments:

Post a Comment